Thursday, December 1, 2011

To Name or Not to Name. . .

So....if you haven't figured this out yet, my name is Emily. I have struggled with this name for many years now, because of the sole fact that there are too dang many of us. My name was #1 for many years in a row surrounding my birth year, so as a result I have always been surrounded with Emily's: my best friend from high school, my roommate here at college, the seven of us in one class....you get the point. Anyways, I've always promised myself that when I had kids, I would not give them wacked out names, but they also would be unique (aka not on the Top 10 list). With that said, I have always loved the names Chloe and Lily, and just recently I have fallen in love with the name Ava. So of course it would be my luck that on MSN today, they came out with a list of the Top 10 baby names for 2011 and of course, Chloe, Lily, and Ava are not only all on it, but right stinkin next to each other (see below). 
Girls                               Boys
Sophia                                    Aiden
Emma                                    Jackson
Isabella                                Mason 
Olivia                                    Liam 
Ava                                       Jacob
Lily                                       Jayden
Chloe                                     Ethan
Madison                                 Noah
So what do I do? Forget the names and come up with new ones? Or do I get past my dislike for popular names and just go forward with them because I think they're beautiful names? Of course my husband's opinion will matter, and I know I may not even have girls and this may never be a problem, but it's still something I think about. So what do you think? Suggestions and advice are welcome. 

3 comments:

  1. My suggestion: Play around with other names, and then come back to your favorites and see if there's a chance of another name beating them for your favorites list. If not, forget the whole top ten name thing, and go with your gut.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope that by the time you have children these names are no longer popular:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You mom and dad found themselves in the same situation, although no one we knew personally had named their daughter Emily. Emily was the most beautiful name we could think of. It also means industrious honey bee which fits you perfectly...you are sweet and a hard worker.

    Love you,

    Dad

    ReplyDelete