Tuesday, January 3, 2012

"Home"

So this morning I was reading my friend's blog (click here to read the post yourself) and she was talking about how she no longer knew whether "home" was at college or at her home in Kentucky. 

I've been struggling with this exact same thing lately. Last night when saying our family prayer, I asked that I would be be blessed "getting back home safely". I then corrected myself and said "getting back to school safely". But I was surprised at how easily the word "home" just slipped off my tongue. The only reason I corrected myself was because I was in denial of the fact that Provo could be my new home, and Idaho was just a place I visited now. I would have never called Provo my home two months ago, but now that I've started adjusting to it more, apparently my subconsciousness has too.

 To be honest, when I called Provo home, I felt like I had just lost the battle. I was fighting so hard to keep "home" here in Idaho, and "school" in Utah. If "home" was now in Utah, what was Idaho

This is where I'm once again grateful I read my friend's post because she then talked about how she realized you actually can have two homes when saying:

"I will always have two homes. One where I am and one where my family is. Because when it's all said and done, family is the biggest part of what makes a home."

I couldn't have said it any better myself. 

2 comments:

  1. Emily, I feel so special! I'm so glad that somebody else feels the same way...I was beginning to think that I'm going crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree with you. It was interesting being a missionary and always calling the apartment "home." But first of all, "home" is where the heart is, I think we've all heard that before. Home is where we're safe.

    ReplyDelete